Team Xtreme Abilities


The Never Quit Challenge is honored to have Veterans who have been wounded and are wheeling through life with a passion that able bodied citizens often take for granted.  

This is our Inspiration Team.  

 They would prefer Xtreme and are looking for the edge of excellence.  These Veterans will be operating a Kawasaki Ultra LX Jetski for 2 select legs of the NQC.  

 They will be honoring the NQC with the Key West to Miami, Florida ride on September 6th.  Team Xtreme will be changing out their team riders at select fuel stops. 

Team Xtreme will be attending the fundraising stops and all NQC stops enroute and will be riding from Atlantic City New Jersey into New York City on September 11th, 2013.  

Please visit their webiste and facebook page and support their cause.

Xtreme Abilities Facebook Page

Xtreme Abilities Homepage


Check out the bio pages of our Team Xtreme athletes.



"No one is going to hand me success. I must go out & get it myself. That’s why I’m here. To adapt and overcome."

Jeff's Bio Page

Check out Is It Accessible!


John's Bio Page


Roberto's Bio Page


 Track the stops of the Never Quit Challenge Operators: 

 Google Maps Link For Viewing






I graduated High School in May 2005.  I joined the Army Infantry in August 2005. I trained as an 11 Charlie and was in a motorcycle accident while I was home for Christmas Exodus which left me paralyzed from abs down.


I've spent 5 months in the Tampa VA doing physical therapy, 1 year in Atlanta GA as a contract between the VA and private hospital Shepherds Center.  I've done numerous hand cycle events raising money for other disabled veterans.



After spending years in therapy and sometime having fun and living life I settled down and got married and have a 19month old little girl who is my entire life.



I own a for finding tattoo shops, artists, models and photographers. We did a ‘Support the Troops’ video getting a disabled/injured veteran a free tattoo that tells a story of their time in the military and interview with their artist and the veteran. Using this video format as a way to raise money for a non-profit of the veterans choice.


I am now starting 2 new adventures with my background experience:





XtremeAbilities is starting off as a clothing brand to raise money, and eventually become a non-profit 501(c)3 taking disabled people (vet, or civilian) and doing Xtreme events such as obstacle courses, skydiving, scuba diving, jetskiing, or anything to get the blood pumping!


Is It Accessible is a site for discovering cool things to do and places to go for mobility dealers etc... specifically focused on the disabled community.


I am about to be starting college on July8th and am going to get my Bachelors in Web Design and Interactive Media.


My motivation in life is to motivate others, to help show that there is a life after injury, and most importantly to take care of my battle buddies who have been hurt at war... it's my way of doing my part since I never made it to combat.



I also own a tattoo directory/review 

Facebook pages


Team Xtreme will be operating Kawasaki ULTRA LX Jetski that will have a seat which will be modified only with upholstery applications.

Nothing else will be changed for our paraplegics, because its not necessary.

Maybe I will have to govern the throttle bottle assembly to SLOW THEM DOWN! LOL

These men will be riding wtih a Hydrotruf custom sewn upholstery cover that will go over the stock seat.  This will simply be stapled to the original OEM stock seat. This is to assist their upper body from sliding during the rough open water riding at wide open throttle. What do we call wide open throttle? WOT!  So we are going to WOT WOT this ride!


Never Quit!



My name is John Vail I am a specialist in the United States Army. My MOS is 31B Military Police. I joined the Army in January of 2006. I was in an accident overseas that left me paralyzed from the waist down and confined to a wheelchair.

I was on a normal route when the driver turned too sharp while going too fast causing the up-armour Hummv to flip ejecting me from the passenger door and then the vehicle came to rest on top of me causing my vertebrae to explode on impact. My vitals dropped and I died twice during a plane ride to Germany to have my surgery.

The only way to describe it was it felt like my fingertips were holding on to heaven and my toes dangling in hell.

Sounds strange which it was but very unsettling which cause me to fight and let adrenaline overcome all. Of course I prayed. My life was changed forever on that night...mentally and physically. I am now a truly happy person who can see the good side in anything and anyone.

I can only imagine my life and how it would have been if I was never injured. I don’t think I would be half the man I am today and for that I am proud.

I am part of a charity called Heart Strings for Heroes and we give guitars to wounded soldiers and marines. It sounds simple but what we do is find the soldier to honor and we throw a concert.

Fill the place full of people who are there to support that soldier then in the middle of the show bring him or her up on stage and present them with a guitar while a roaring crowd sounds off for that’s an amazing feeling and I know because I was the first recipient.

That’s why I’m so passionate about it.

I left there knowing 100% that I was loved and respected for my sacrifice.

We believe in music therapy and it can definitely heal the mind and body. Fighting depression and PTSD are hard but occupying the mind with music that you love does amazing things. Also, it’s a goal setting learning tool.

Everyday wake up and set the goal of what you want to learn to play. And I promise you will never run out of music. Ok that’s a little about me and who I am.

Now a little about wheelchairs.

When picking your first wheelchair while lying in a hospital bed you have no idea what it’s like to live in a chair.

No idea what you need out of a chair.

Nobody can until they live in one day to day....impossible.  That’s what happened to me.

I have learned that weight and durability are key. Most chairs are all bolted together with bolt-on accessories.

Every ounce counts and when a chair has 200 bolts it adds up. Mike box wheelchairs are made to eliminate unnecessary weight. They are welded together in one piece, no bolted together junk.

Every single chair is different, with that being because every person and their needs are different. They are built to your body which brings me to my next point. Comfort.

Most people can’t sit all day 24/7 in a chair and I do. I can’t feel my legs but my back takes a beating and a uncomfortable chair causes bad posture and overtime can cause even more problems.

A paraplegics new legs are shoulders. If you tear up your shoulders you’re done.

Since the box chair is made custom to the person the distance from the shoulder to the hand rim is perfect eliminating the reaching into an unnatural position which causes unwanted strain and easy fatigue. Part of comfort is the mike box chairs are the suspension....there is no other chairs like it.

They have small suspension that absorbs all the shock and takes away all the bumpy ride...and that means when rolling on a sidewalk my feet won’t rattle off and chew my toes up...ouch even though I can’t feel it haha.

Last but not least is the promise. You outgrow or break a Mike Box Chair it is replaced no questions asked....for life.




My name is Roberto Cruz, I was born in Aguadilla, Puerto Rico on September 5, 1981. Of three children to Hector Cruz Sr. and Mildred Arocho, I was the middle child.

My father is a Vietnam veteran, and growing up I always wanted to be like him. After graduating High School I enrolled in college at the University of Puerto Rico in Utuado, and then transferred to Polytenic University of Puerto Rico.

After being in college for a couple of years, I quickly found that it was not for me. What I really wanted to do was join the military and on June 9, 2003 I enlisted in the Army as an Infantry man, like my father had been.

After graduating from basic training in Ft. Benning, Georgia, I went to airborne school and upon graduation I got military orders to be stationed in Ft. Stewart, Georgia and was with Alpha Company 2-7 Infantry of 3rd Infantry Division.

I arrived in Ft. Stewart in March of 2004 and was sent to do all the training required to be deployed the following year.

In January of 2005 I was deployed to Tikrit, Iraq. I was in Forward Operation Base Danger; while there my unit completed many combat missions from raids, patrolling, and force protection. We were the main combat element in Tikrit.

On August 14, 2005 while on guard duty on a watch tower, I was shot by a sniper.

The shot came unexpectedly and before I knew it I was on the floor. I heard a loud explosion and thought I had been hit by an RPG, but my team leader, who was with me on the guard tower, did not know what had happened until he saw blood coming out of my left arm.

He realized I had been shot, and began to take action to help me.

He told me I had been shot, and I told him not to lie to me because I could not feel my legs; I believed I had been hit by an RPG.

I asked him if the bullet had come out, and he searched for an exit wound, but did not find one.  He called the medic, and he decided to medevac me.

The last I remember I was being put in a Blackhawk helicopter and feeling that I could not breathe.

I was taken to Ballad and once I was stabilized I was sent to Landstuhl, Germany.

The bullet had ricocheted through my body and lodged in my spinal cord.  While in Landstuhl they were able to take the bullet out. I was transported to Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C.

I had been in a coma since being put in the Blackhawk in Tikrit, and woke up two or three days after being at Walter Reed.

I was dazed and confused from all the medications I was on, and everything that had happened. I remembered I had been shot and learned that I was back in the United States.

I was told that I would never walk again, but I had faith in myself that I would prove them wrong.

I went to physical therapy, it was not easy, but got through it. I was sent to James A. Haley, Veterans Hospital in Tampa, FL to continue my therapy and treatment.

I soon started to take steps with a walking cane, eventually working toward walking on my own.

The artery in my left arm was damaged by the bullet leaving nerve damage in my arm and fingers. I am unable to use my left arm, but have adapted.

I try to be active and stay connected with different outings and sports which help me realize that I can still do many of the things I love to do such as bike riding and skiing and all kind of sports.